Hennepin/Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction Project
City Sanitary Sewer Project Begins August 30
The condition of the existing underground utilities along the project corridor has been investigated to determine the need for improvements as a part of the roadway reconstruction. The City of Minneapolis will begin some of the sanitary sewer repair work in August 2015 to prepare for roadway reconstruction in 2016. Click here to view construction closures and detours.
Please check this page for weekly updates, and sign up for email updates during construction.
- Power to the traffic signal system at the Hennepin/Groveland intersection will be disconnected from 9am to 2pm on Friday, September 4th. Stop signs will be used during this time. This temporary disruption is needed to relocate and reconnect portions of the signal system impacted by the underground sewer work.
- The Oak Grove bus stop re-opened Monday evening. We are continuing to evaluate a safe way make the Groveland stop available, but there are safety concerns including limited space, poor site distances (drivers and non-motorized), and distance needed for the bus to safely pull back into reduced traffic lanes. For the near term, this stop will remain closed until we can find a safe option for all users.
- The contractor will continue to monitor the pedestrian/bike detour and keep it as wide as possible. There may be limited areas where it needs to be narrower for work to be completed safely.
We apologize for the inconvenience of the northbound Hennepin Avenue bus stops being closed today. This issue is being addressed in coordination with Metro Transit, and THE OAK GROVE/15th STREET BUS STOP WILL BE OPEN BY 8PM on August 31st. Metro Transit will also be updating its online info and signage. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Week of 8/31, construction workers and equipment will be in the corridor. Closures of traffic lanes and the east leg of the Groveland/Hennepin intersection will begin after 8pm on Sunday, August 30 so everything is set for the Monday morning rush hour.
- The east leg of the Groveland Ave/Hennepin Ave intersection will be closed to all traffic. The east-west pedestrian crossing from Groveland across Hennepin/Lyndale will be maintained throughout construction.
- The right (east) two lanes of northbound Hennepin Avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic between the I-94 exit ramp and just short of Oak Grove. The left (west) two lanes will remain open.
- One of the closed traffic lanes will be converted to a two-way path to be shared by bicyclists and pedestrians. This will be the detour for Loring Greenway, which will be closed during construction.
- Specific construction activities this week will include: Pavement removal, utility excavation at the Hennepin/Groveland intersection, removal of a gas main, and construction of a temporary traffic signal at the Hennepin/Groveland intersection.
- This work is being coordinated with the Lyndale Bridge redecking project underway by MnDOT, and lane closures for this project align with the MnDOT lane closures.
Previous updates can be found here.
Project Area Map